[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

Robert Edmonds edmonds at isc.org
Wed Jun 15 22:21:50 UTC 2011

Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 6/13/2011 9:37 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Just let the hosts update its own PTR records.  Windows machines
> > already attempt to do this.  If the home user has a forward zone
> > then it will point to that zone.  If not ISP's may wish to offer
> > to host forward zones for their customers.
>
> Sorry, but I doubt that any ISP in their right mind is going to allow
> users with machine names that they get to set themselves to do dynamic
> updates.

so if i understand you correctly, it would be ok if a business class
customer opened up a ticket to set a funny PTR, but not ok if a
residential customer set a funny PTR using a dynamic update.

this sort of attitude really puts the "class" in "business class" vs
"residential class" internet service :D

i can't see any reasons to deny a PTR update (whether it came in via a
ticket or via a dynamic update) other than simple technical checks, like
perhaps verifying that the PTRDNAME points to an existing A or AAAA
owner name.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at isc.org