[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Wed Jun 15 21:35:37 UTC 2011

On 6/13/2011 9:37 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Just let the hosts update its own PTR records.  Windows machines
> already attempt to do this.  If the home user has a forward zone
> then it will point to that zone.  If not ISP's may wish to offer
> to host forward zones for their customers.

Sorry, but I doubt that any ISP in their right mind is going to allow
users with machine names that they get to set themselves to do dynamic
updates.

We have enough issues with crazies playing in the whois data to show
that opening updates to general users would be ... less that acceptable.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know it's a different use/mechanism, but
the mentality of the abuser will be the same (or worse).

   Server Name:
GOOGLE.COM.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.GET.ONE.MILLION.DOLLARS.AT.WWW.UNIMUNDI
.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ZZZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW.SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ZOMBIED.AND.HACKED.BY.WWW.WEB-HACK.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ZNAET.PRODOMEN.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.YUCEKIRBAC.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.YUCEHOCA.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.WORDT.DOOR.VEEL.WHTERS.GEBRUIKT.SERVERTJE.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.VABDAYOFF.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SUCKS.FIND.CRACKZ.WITH.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SPROSIUYANDEKSA.RU
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SOUTHBEACHNEEDLEARTISTRY.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SHTHEAD.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SERVES.PR0N.FOR.ALLIYAH.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.LASERPIPE.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.SHIT.SQUAREBOARDS.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.NOT.HOSTED.BY.ACTIVEDOMAINDNS.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.HOSTED.ON.PROFITHOSTING.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.APPROVED.BY.NUMEA.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.HICHINA.COM
   Server Name:
GOOGLE.COM.HAS.LESS.FREE.PORN.IN.ITS.SEARCH.ENGINE.THAN.SECZY.CO
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ESJUEGOS.NET
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.BITERMANSOLUTIONS.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.AFRICANBATS.ORG

Yep, like that.

AlanC