[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Mon Jun 13 22:54:44 UTC 2011

Unfortunately, there are other services beyond just SMTP that use the
presence or lack there of for a PTR to enforce access rights.  Most are
older protocols (IRC, Anonymous FTP, etc), but they're out there, and I'm
pretty sure that they'll still be out there for v6.

And while I'd love to give out nothing for a v6 PTR record except for our
systems/biz customers, I'm not sure if these services will allow me to get
away with no PTR for residential customers...

So maybe the default is no PTR for residential users, and they go to an account control panel to create one if they need it (with easy-to-find FAQs explaining this)?

Jason