[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Jun 13 17:38:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 05:20:47PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> what i could learn from a WHOIS or ASN lookup.  and if the answer matters
> to me i will be doing that WHOIS or ASN lookup *anyway* since PTR's can be
> obfuscated/misdirected.  (so can WHOIS but not quite as easily.)

The problem is, we spent in excess of a decade educating everyone that not
having a reverse was the mark of sloppy administration or even that it was
suggestive of being a spammy network.

That message has now percolated to board room level and I expect it to take
at least another decade to go away again.

So if you want your solution to be operationally attractive (to keep this
post on-topic), it will have to have a way to deal with this.

One way of doing this is to use an authoritative server with scripting
ability.

	Bert