[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Mon Jun 13 17:20:47 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 03:52:21 -0600
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
>
> > (201-41-169-85.ctaje701.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br is an example of what
> > i mean by non-useful.)
>
> non-useful only if you do not actually look at your systems' logs
> (extracted, of course)

actually, no, i meant non-useful period.  a PTR who only repeats the IP
address and adds a tail-domain belonging to the ISP adds no value over
what i could learn from a WHOIS or ASN lookup.  and if the answer matters
to me i will be doing that WHOIS or ASN lookup *anyway* since PTR's can be
obfuscated/misdirected.  (so can WHOIS but not quite as easily.)