[dns-operations] Resolver operation an expired domain

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 20:07:49 UTC 2011

On Jan 27 2011, I wrote:

>On Jan 27 2011, Frank Bulk wrote:
>
>>Any A record you query against that NS returns 209.62.105.19. =)
>
>Except for names inside pendingrenewaldeletion.com, in which case they
>return 205.178.189.51. Just a couple of wildcards, apparently.
>
>I have also seen lots of format errors in my logs resulting from
>attempts to look up AAAA records at these servers - indeed any
>record type except A seems to result in such errors.

It's fairly obvious why, in fact: any negative answer is accompanied
by an SOA record for "." in the authority section, coming from the
fake root zone, and BIND isn't going to like that one little bit...

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,