[dns-operations] To A or to AAAA - was Re: Signaling client

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 20 11:58:05 UTC 2011

Some additional numbers, the top-25000 domains from Alexa, each queried
twice, once AAAA for 'www.domain' and once for the bare domain:

Sending                                 Receiving
  Queued                      50000       Received                    49990
  Error -/-                       0       Timeouts                       10
                                          Unexpected                      0
 Sent                         50000      Total                        50000

DNS Status
  OK                            618
  Error                         426
  No Data                     48454
  NXDOMAIN                      492
  Unknowns                        0
Answers                       49990
  Timeouts                       10
Total                         50000

The same for A:

Sending                                 Receiving
  Queued                      50000       Received                    49999
  Error -/-                       0       Timeouts                        1
                                          Unexpected                      0
 Sent                         50000      Total                        50000

DNS Status
  OK                          48173
  Error                         300
  No Data                      1041
  NXDOMAIN                      485
  Unknowns                        0
Answers                       49999
  Timeouts                        1
Total                         50000

"Error" in this context means the PowerDNS Recursor answered with a
SERVFAIL.  It does not imply anything about what the authoritative server
said.

	Bert