[dns-operations] To A or to AAAA - was Re: Signaling client

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jan 20 11:13:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.1101191603010.3329 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony Finch writes:
> >
> > I just took a sample of 10000 different domain names from my mail server
> > logs. 0.8% of the AAAA lookups returned SERVFAIL or timed out. If I don't
> > uniquify the domain names I get a failure rate of 0.5%.
>
> And how many of those also failed for A?

for the uniquified list of 10,000 different domains the failure rate for A
lookups was 0.4%, and for non-uniquified list it was 0.3%.

Tony.
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,
DECREASING 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN HUMBER AND THAMES. MODERATE OR
ROUGH. RAIN THEN FAIR. GOOD.