[dns-operations] (wikileaks) Fwd: [funsec] And Google becomes a DNS..

Günter Grodotzki guenter at grodotzki.ph
Mon Jan 3 17:07:26 UTC 2011

Thats just simple SEO, e.g. the more people mention and link to $URL
(and $URL can be containing an IP or domain as host) - the more
attention google gives it on its SERPs..

Just check how many inlinks the IP has (use yahoo site explorer) - >
178k - because every news/media site wrote an article "wikileaks domain
deleted - visit them via ip xyz".

Having IPs in the SERPs is not unusual:
http://www.google.com/search?q=217.79.186.148

There is no magic, dns-trick or "google is a god" behind this..

Just my 2 cents,
Günter Grodotzki

ps: but other than that, yeah google IS in dns business with its own
public dns resolvers and pretty sure they are also using dns in their
resolv.conf to resolve domains for themselves ;)