[dns-operations] Caveat in upgrading to BIND 9.7.3

Robert Edmonds edmonds at isc.org
Fri Feb 25 00:24:06 UTC 2011

Michael Sinatra wrote:
> Forcibly retransferring the zones fixes it permanently because 9.7.3
> properly fixes the way that the zones are written to disk.

that seems to me a pretty good argument for always storing XFR'd zones
in wire format.  how often do you need to view a replica's saved copy of
a zone or make updates to it by hand?

the master zone file format is not particularly stable -- each new
RRTYPE assignment makes a backwards incompatible update to the master
file format.  so there's always been the danger that slightly newer DNS
software can write zone files that slightly older DNS software can't
read.

i think there is an option in BIND called "masterfile-format raw" but i
don't know much about it or if it would have helped you avoid this
particular peculiarity.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at isc.org