[dns-operations] Caveat in upgrading to BIND 9.7.3

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:34:47 UTC 2011

On 2/24/11 3:18 PM, Casey Deccio wrote:

> As an illustration, here is the impact that this had on insecure delegations
> from berekeley.edu:
>
> http://dnsviz.net/d/cs.berkeley.edu/1297818000000000/dnssec/
>
> Note that two distinct NSEC RRs were returned by the collective set of
> servers authoritative for berkeley.edu for proving non-existence of
> cs.berkeley.edu/DS.  Two of the six servers were serving an NSEC RR that had
> a name mixed case in the "next" field, and the others all had only lower
> case.  However, all servers were serving the same RRSIG covering the NSEC.
> Since the RRSIG was made from the NSEC with lower case, the RRSIG didn't
> validate against the NSEC served by the two servers.

This is also typical of how the bug manifested prior to 9.7.3.  It had
never affected berkeley.edu before because I usually let DNS servers
"settle" for a few days before shoving them back into the anycast cloud.
  This generally gives zones time to naturally retransfer as updates are
made and they are re-signed.  By quickly dropping in the 9.7.3 and
putting the server back into production, the residual side-effects of
this issue showed up.  Forcibly retransferring the zones fixes it
permanently because 9.7.3 properly fixes the way that the zones are
written to disk.

michael