[dns-operations] opting in to stupid DNS tricks

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Feb 21 18:59:55 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 10:44, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:30:37AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 02/21/2011 08:17, Jim Reid wrote:
>>> FYI I have never visited Facebook or Yahoo. That's because their content
>>> is of no interest to me
>>
>> I call tautology. :)
>

> I'd disagree.
>
> I've heard the argument, "you haven't tried it, how do you know whether
> you'd like it?"  Well, let's say that you saw a mailing list for pig
> processors that discussed the best way to cut hocks.  Would you
> necessarily have to subscribe to know that that is not your cup of tea?
> [I'm asuming that you're not an amateur hog hunter and butcher.]

So you're saying that Yahoo and Facebook are single-topic mailing lists?

> Facebook and Yahoo are fairly well-known sites,

I seriously doubt there are more than 1% of the Internet-using
population who know 50% of what's available on either site. Yes, we get
that you and Jim are too cool for school, but now you're just being
silly. :)

> Disclaimer: I do in fact have a Facebook account, which I probably visit
> at least once a year.  I got it after the Marcus Ranum incident.  And
> because my daughters said, Ooooh, yuck, adults don't belong on Facebook!
> [But my wife did, too, and does more of the monitoring now.]

On a serious note, hopefully by monitor you mean "every day." I heard an
interview on the radio the other day with a cop who picked a student in
his town at random and over a period of weeks collected enough
information about her to show up at her house at a time that he knew she
would be home alone. The moral of the story was that if your child is
not old/mature enough to _both_ know what to do when that happens, _and_
be taught how to fight off a sexual assault, they are not old enough to
be on Facebook.

Doug

			-- OK Go