[dns-operations] opting in to stupid DNS tricks

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Mon Feb 21 18:44:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:30:37AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 08:17, Jim Reid wrote:
> > FYI I have never visited Facebook or Yahoo. That's because their content
> > is of no interest to me
>
> I call tautology. :)

I'd disagree.

I've heard the argument, "you haven't tried it, how do you know whether
you'd like it?"  Well, let's say that you saw a mailing list for pig
processors that discussed the best way to cut hocks.  Would you
necessarily have to subscribe to know that that is not your cup of tea?
[I'm asuming that you're not an amateur hog hunter and butcher.]

If I see a mailing list discussing the best way to utilize what are
euphemistically called "feminine products", I don't have to subscribe to
know that I won't have much use for those discussions.  My daughters
have always, quite sensibly, addressed those questions to my wife.

Facebook and Yahoo are fairly well-known sites, and I think one can be
forgiven for thinking that one has a good idea what's on them without
subscribing.  One would often be correct.

Disclaimer: I do in fact have a Facebook account, which I probably visit
at least once a year.  I got it after the Marcus Ranum incident.  And
because my daughters said, Ooooh, yuck, adults don't belong on Facebook!
[But my wife did, too, and does more of the monitoring now.]

--
**