[dns-operations] Planned IN-ADDR.ARPA Nameserver Change

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 17:27:30 UTC 2011

On Feb 18 2011, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

>A side question:
>Given that the arpa. NS TTL is large (1 week) why was it not changed
>during this transition while the zone was still being generated by ARIN?

Why is the "arpa" NS TTL relevant? The "in-addr.arpa" NS TTL is 1 day,
in both the old and new versions of the zone, as far as I can see.

(The TTL on the delegation NS RRset for "in-addr.arpa" in "arpa" is
2 days, but it's quite difficult to think of situations in which that
would affect anyone [yet], because there are no official servers for
"arpa" which are not [still] authoritative for "in-addr.arpa" as well.)

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,