[dns-operations] Please upgrade validators to at least BIND-9.7.2 before .com is signed

Rickard Dahlstrand rickard.dahlstrand at iis.se
Sat Feb 5 10:22:26 UTC 2011

Hi Duane and others,

Being responsible for some software development here at .SE I realized that there seems to be something really wrong here. If I where responsible for the development of bind, one of the first thing I would test prior to a release is this scenario. Especially in light of the global move into DNSSEC since the root has been signed last year.

It makes me think that DNSSEC is not a huge priority for some of us, while others suffers trying to keep this thing running. This bug was in no way minor and possible had big implications for ISPs in Sweden running DNSSEC-enabled resolvers for a huge number of users, possible losing lots of money and getting bad PR.

This is not meant as a flame at ISC. Instead please read as a call to increase awareness that DNSSEC IS NOT IN BETA and a plea to all vendors to start testing their applications.

Rickard.