[dns-operations] New U.S. Senate Bill re DNS Blocking

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Wed Sep 22 01:09:12 UTC 2010

>>but in the context of the bill, the clear implication is "nameserver
>>admins must stop serving A and AAAA records for particular domain names
>>when told to under the auspices of this law if it is enacted". Also,
>>given the difference between what Jason quoted and the paragraphs that
>>precede it, this means "and we are not talking about just shutting off
>>the domain name here; we understand the difference".
>
>I'm not sure it's clear, and I'll be working to get it clarified.  As
>it's written, it includes recursive DNS operators.  As intended by the
>context surrounding it, I believe it's to mean only authoritative DNS
>operators.  Unfortunately the definition of service provider is geared
>towards ISPs, and so hopefully I can get that fixed.

As explained to me, the authors understand that if an authoritative
server, registry, or registrar is outside of the U.S., then the only
recourse they came up with is to try to have the domain blocked in all
recursive servers within the borders of the country.  There also seems to
be an understanding that if it only applied to one or two types of
recursive DNS operators that it would not be effective, which seems to
have prompted the more inclusive language you see in the bill.

Jason