[dns-operations] H root outage (UNCLASSIFIED)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Oct 4 11:29:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 08:51:11AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 11:24:37PM +0000,
>  bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote
>  a message of 25 lines which said:
>
> > 	I'm pretty sure there are at least three, if not more unicast
> > 	nodes still around.
>
> Give names, please, otherwise, it is useless information.

	I presume you can read.  http://www.root-servers.org/
	lists the four sites.

> > 	I'm pretty sure that "B" is not on a raft off the coast of
> > 	West Africa.
>
> {0, 0} is off the coast of West Africa. It seems to indicate that
> root-servers.org is programmed in Perl, or another language where
> undefined => zero. Anyway, I concur with David Conrad. Simply post the
> data, this will settle the issue.

	I shouldn't have to, Chris already posted it.
	David and you and I refered to it.  But for those with
	too short attention spans:

	http://www.root-servers.org/ states:  B, D, E, and H
	all are single sites.

	It is possible that the www.root-servers.org web site is
	out of date, since last I checked, it did not have the
	canonical data for all roots.  But it is the source that
	Chris used to start this thread. I'm not sure where he
	pulled that only B and H were single sites - if he(and you) had
	actually looked at this web page - for it tells a different
	story.

	However, you may have more correct information. Please provide
	updates/corrections so that we may all be edified.

--bill