[dns-operations] DNS Traffic Archive Protocol

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Nov 30 15:47:43 UTC 2010

> > Since we are going to opensource that, I wonder whether there is an
> > interest for defining the properties of such protocol, ie. what to
> > store and what not, etc.
>
> Rather than defining a new protocol, making use of IPFIX/PSAMP might
> be a more fruitful and open approach, and involve less reinvention of
> the wheel:
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ipfix/>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/psamp/>

if we're really not going to reinvent this wheel, then i suggest NMSG,
which has the advantage of having been designed for a general purpose
that specifically includes this one, and having been implemented
already including a suite of tools and several language bindings.

more users and more developers would be quite welcome.  it's all BSDL.

there are some pointers to it on <https://sie.isc.org/>.

(NMSG was written to replace NCAP which was written to replace PCAP.)