[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri May 21 06:07:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:21:07PM -0400, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> >If the resolver "thinks" it has IPv6 (but does not because of
> >transport) there will be failure 2 out of 9 times on resolution
> >which the resolver will have to compensate.
>
> If the resolver thinks it has IPv6, but does not because its
> transport is broken, then the resolver is going to have problems
> with dual-stacked name servers as well.

For PowerDNS, the use of IPv6 for outgoing queries has to be enabled
manually, since we do not trust that *having* an IPv6 address means that it
works.

It might be a grand idea to automatically switch on IPv6 for outgoing
queries if root-priming succeeds over V6.

And perhaps switch IPv6 off again if none of the roots is reachable over
IPv6.

Or perhaps I'm inventing the wheel here ;-)

Would this make sense (operationally?).

	Bert