[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 20 00:54:16 UTC 2010

In message <20100520000510.F06752B2111 at mx5.roble.com>, Roger Marquis writes:
> Brett Frankenberger wrote:
> > If "J" didn't exist, you wouldn't be objecting.  So your position seems
> > to be that you believe that 5 servers, all of which have IPv4
> > connectivity, is better than 6 servers, 5 of which have IPv4
> > connectivity.
>
> The problem is not that J exists but rather that it is being advertised
> to IPv4-only clients which it cannot serve.  This is extremely bad
> planning, though somewhat par for the course of IPv6's rollout.
> Proactive end-users are already deleting J from their "hint" zone
> files.

Why is it "bad planning"?  The only requirement for zones is that
there are some IPv4 servers for them and .biz meets that requirement.
Has there been one complaint that .biz names cannot be looked up?

> The root cause of this change management failure seems to be a small
> group of network engineers with too much responsibility and too little
> exposure to end-users.  The attitude seems to be "I can get IPv6 why
> should I care that you can't", much like web 2.0 developers who don't
> consider end-users behind dial-up lines.

All users can get IPv6.  There is *nothing* stopping anyone other
that their own willingness to set it up.  If you are using Vista
you are most probably using IPv6 without even knowing you are doing
so even your ISP only supplies you with IPv4.

> The net effect can only be to push IPv6 adoption out farther still.

Rubbish.