[dns-operations] OpenDNS adopts DNSCurve

David Ulevitch david at ulevitch.com
Sat Mar 27 01:57:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:34:12PM +0100,
>  Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote
>  a message of 6 lines which said:
>
>> http://blog.opendns.com/2010/02/23/opendns-dnscurve/
>
> And now DNSSEC, one month after bashing it on its blog :
>
> https://www.jobscore.com/job_seeker/jobs/job_posting?job_id=b7pSvUn3ir37abeJe4aGWH
> DNSSEC Engineer at OpenDNS in San Francisco, CA

We have never said we would not implement DNSSEC, and in fact that
blog post mentions we will do it.  In fact, many times, publicly and
privately I've said we would very likely do it.

What I have stated is that I think it solves many of the wrong
problems, solves problems easily solved in other ways, is being pushed
through in ways that may cause instability and is generally suffering
from group think, but I've never said OpenDNS wouldn't do it.  Market
forces make smart companies do stupid things sometimes and this may be
one of them.

But we are here to make money, and at some point, like most of you,
we'll make more money by offering DNSSEC-enabled services to those who
want it.  The idea that it would ever hurt our business has always
been an absurd and ridiculous notion.  If anything, we will make more
money from DNSSEC.

Hope that helps clarify my view and thanks for spreading the word.  I
encourage proven and exceptional engineers to apply or refer
colleagues.  We are a small team that is profitable and provide a
great work environment.  And obviously, since our job postings make
dns-operations@, the work you do at OpenDNS has a global impact.
Remote work is acceptable for this position for the right candidate.

Thanks,
David (CEO, Founder and Night Janitor of OpenDNS)