[dns-operations] Odd behaviour on one node in I root-server (facebook, youtube & twitter)

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Thu Mar 25 20:39:20 UTC 2010

On 25/03/2010, at 9:27 AM, Roy Arends wrote:

> Here is the an excerpt of my research:

Fascinating stuff.

What I don't understand is why bother doing this with DNS?  Why not just null route the address ranges?

-  I doubt it is just to enable some form of data gathering capability on the returned IP addresses because that still would not _require_ DNS redirection.

- Possibly it could be that only DNS is being redirected, not the routing layer (other than to redirect the DNS).  Presumably this could be tested by using host files.  But then surely the effort required to do this to DNS would not be wasted by leaving such a hole.

So it must be something else really clever that someone else will hopefully explain?

regards
Jay

--
Jay Daley