[dns-operations] Signing of the ARPA zone

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Mon Mar 22 03:07:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 06:06:17PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:

> Personally speaking, I believe the ARPA zone should be consistently not be on any of the root servers.  See RFC 2870 section 2.5.

also personally speaking, there are two ways to bring "Root Name Server
Operational Requirements" in sync with operational practice.  And then,
if memory serves correctly, at the time of publication of RFC 2870 the
INT TLD was more en vogue for what was renamed to the "Address and
Routing Parameter Area Domain" in RFC 3172.  It would also be nice
to have "ARPA Server Operational Requirements" and, if these and the
updated "Root Server OR" match, some discusion whether or not it made
sense to split the functions even if the requirements were the same.
"DNSSEC Grandparent" problems come to mind as well as issues above layer 7.

-Peter