[dns-operations] /24 Reverse DNS delegation using the IP Address 4th octet?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Wed Mar 17 14:04:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:34:50AM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

> No -- if my-master-1 and my-master-2 both hosted the single zone 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa, everything will still work regardless of whether the parent is making 256 delegations or one, at least for PTR queries (if someone was specifically looking for 256 different SOA records obviously they wouldn't find them).

which also means that, depending on how rigid the resolver is checking,
negative caching will be negatively affected (no pun).  It's a hack and
not a protocol conformant configuration.

-Peter