[dns-operations] /24 Reverse DNS delegation using the IP Address 4th octet?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Mar 17 13:34:50 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-16, at 17:23, Doug Barton wrote:

>> Is that workable?  It seems silly to me.  Can I still just set up a
>> single zone file like so?
>
> Yes, but in named.conf you'll have to have 256 separate zone statements.

No -- if my-master-1 and my-master-2 both hosted the single zone 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa, everything will still work regardless of whether the parent is making 256 delegations or one, at least for PTR queries (if someone was specifically looking for 256 different SOA records obviously they wouldn't find them).

> Better to go back to the parent and request a proper /24 delegation.

I think in this case that would be burning cycles on something that will make no practical difference to anybody.

Joe