[dns-operations] TLD operators.. issues coming from 64.97.246.0/24

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Jun 26 20:34:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 04:12:28PM -0400,
 Bob Paolucci <Bob.Paolucci at rci.rogers.com> wrote
 a message of 84 lines which said:

> Here is one such domain:
>
> indynews.cgocable.ca

I assume you mean cgocable.ca since indynews.cgocable.ca is not
delegated. This domain appear to have two problems:

* an incredibly low value of Expire, even less than Refresh! But it is
their funeral, after all.

* a discrepancy between the names of the name servers in the parent
zone (.CA) and in the zone itself. Do note that only the names are
different, not the IP addresses. Because of that, the lack of glue for
the names should not be a problem in practice (and the glue is sent
with the same TTL as the NS records). Of course, it is a defect but
this defect is quite common. I am not aware of problems of flooding
queries arising with such a broken setup but I'm sure a pcap trace of
a query would be appreciated, for further study.