[dns-operations] DNS zone monitoring

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Mon Jun 14 23:16:21 UTC 2010

On 6/14/2010 13:32, Warren Kumari wrote:

> Another case where it doesn't work hugely well is if you are providing
> secondary service for someone else -- explaining why they have to
> configure a specially named zone (that isn't delegated to them, and with
> odd timers) is tricky.

Well, the point for me is that it shows the normal master-slave
relationship works. This is obviously not an end all be all to DNS
monitoring, merely a simple way using DNS itself (no relying on extra
"stuff" like executing a command as root) to see if a zone goes stale
due to failure to axfr.

~Seth