[dns-operations] DNS zone monitoring

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jun 14 20:32:10 UTC 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Joe Greco wrote:

>>> Yes, but that's only useful if your SOA's are changing.  For many
>>> zones,
>>> there's no need for the serials to change.  Besides, I already
>>> indicated
>>> we did that.  :-)
>>

>> One thing I employ is a test zone (something.test) and set all the
>> SOA
>> values way down, such as a 5 min expire. This way the slaves are
>> actively doing their master-slave thing constantly. If there's a
>> problem
>> the slaves eventually expire the test zone and that sets off alarms.
>
> That's sufficiently obvious that now I almost feel silly.  It's
> still not
> quite what I'd prefer, but I think it addresses many of the cases
> that I
> can think of.

Another case where it doesn't work hugely well is if you are providing
secondary service for someone else -- explaining why they have to
configure a specially named zone (that isn't delegated to them, and
with odd timers) is tricky.

At the moment the best I have found is just running 'dig AXFR blargh'
from cron and looking for >N failures in M interval, but this is A:
inelegant and B: doesn't exercise the full path. I knew a guy who
would fire up a whole separate BIND instance and have to transfer
into /tmp/something, check that he got the right files and then
delete /tmp/something... Seemed a little crazy to me, but...