[dns-operations] _nicname._tcp

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Jul 27 16:34:47 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-27, at 11:56, Jim Reid wrote:

> It's just an example of another ad-hoc idea for finding whois servers that didn't catch on.

And it's orthogonal to the idea that these days people apparently expect to be able to talk to whois servers on port 80, not port 43. I have seen complaints that "whois.whatever is down" that were taken seriously, for example, when what was being tested was http://whois.whatever/, not whois -h whois.whatever something.

The whole problem space is awash with horrors.

Joe