[dns-operations] Wacky idea of the week

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Mon Jul 26 00:20:17 UTC 2010

On 26/07/2010, at 11:48 AM, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Jul 26, Jay Daley <jay at nzrs.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> This morning (yes it's morning here) we started to accept IDN registrations and that means we have to go through all sorts of hoops telling the browser manufacturers.  I would much rather we could have just published a policy indicator under .nz that the browsers detected and used IDNs.
>
> How would this work? Browser vendors use an IDN whitelist because they
> want to check that the TLD operators have a policy to prevent
> registration of homographic domains.

It's more than just homographic domains

	http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/tld-idn-policy-list.html

and how it would work conceptually is pretty straightforward - a well known entry point into the TLD DNS points to the policy, the policy is encoded in machine readable format (in the same way publicsuffix.org is), the browser reads it.  Perhaps even the encoded policy could sit in DNS as well?

Jay