[dns-operations] Online DNSSEC debugging tool now availalbe

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 13:55:37 UTC 2010

On Jul 16 2010, Phil Regnauld wrote:

>Frank Habicht (geier) writes:
>>
>> by a tool announced after the root was signed?
>> adding more work to accommodate a temp. band-aid that's obsolete the
>> sooner the better?
>>
>> I'm guessing / hoping ISC agree.
>> _IF_ i understand some things correctly then the purpose of DLV is on a
>> downwards slope now, right?
>
> Yes and no - I don't know ISC's intenet - Paul Vixie did say that
> DLV won't be necessary in the future, but there will still be
> islands of signed data with parents that don't sign.
>
> On the other hand, the pressue is greater on these TLDs/SLDs to
> get signing if DLV goes away and the root is signed.  Either that
> or see security conscious users move to other domains.

I think we will have to wait at least until COM is signed and accepting
signed delegations before one can expect DLV to be "on a downward slope".

DLV RRset count in dlv.isc.org seems to remain on an upward trend at the
moment (1651 today, 1495 a month ago).

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,