[dns-operations] Please contribute data to OARC!

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Sat Feb 6 21:09:44 UTC 2010

Hi Eric

On 7/02/2010, at 4:29 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I suppose you'd like your question answered to the list on which you asked it.
>
> During the summer of 2008 after the GNSO Fast Flux PDP Working Group began I initiated a conference call with James Bladel (GoDaddy), Paul Diaz (NetSol)and Kalman Feher (MIT).
>
> At that time, what I will call the "retail security" advocates were pushing requirements for all registrars (regardless of whether they accepted credit card payments, highly corollated to zero cost resource acquisition, or even sold CNO inventory, with a similar corollation with exploit targets) to opperate 24x7 and perform take-downs on an unqualified assertion by unknown third-parties.
>
> I proposed to James, Paul and Kalman that we look at root causes for FFHN, at rapid update, a subject I and others were concerned with when it was first offered, in 2004, and at admission control. That is, the c&c problem, and the bot inventory problem.
>
> We agreed to a second call, inviting Chuck Gomes (VGRS) and Jeff Neuman (NeuStar) and possibly someone from Afilias, I don't recall, and in that call we discussed, without coming to a conclusion, rapid update (mod in particular) and the flux ecologies.
>
> Not too long after Mike O'Conner, who chaired the WG, and I both ended our involvement in the WG. Mike's comments are in the public record and I suspect mine are as well. I deleted my list and side-bar email archives.
>
> The decision to form an "Registry Internet Security Group" (RSIG) was one I was not a party to, and opposed its form -- a mix of some registries, uncommitted to ending add and mod operation temporal equivalence, and unrelated (to registry operations) third-parties dependent upon the ongoing absence of admission control.
>
> That exhausts my first hand knowledge in the RSIG to which you've expressed an interest. If you think the RSIG has solved either of those two problems -- temporal equivalency of add and mod, or lack of admission control, removing one c&c mechanism and reducing the value of bot inventories, please let me know. For me, the trust anchor problem, both static and temporal, on the zone delegation side, and on the BGP side, has been a conceptual tool. You mileage may vary.

The formation of RISG was nothing to do with that.  It was set up by PIR with a few other registries, some security companies and a couple of registrars to find ways for those participants to exchange data with the goal of detecting and removing domains registered for phishing or malware distribution as soon as possible.   There was no link to the events you describe above.

kind regards
Jay

--
Jay Daley