[dns-operations] Please contribute data to OARC!

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Tue Feb 2 17:09:19 UTC 2010

bert hubert (bert.hubert) writes:

> Part of the analysis may be outside the scope of many server-oriented
> analyses. For example, how do popular stub resolvers (as found in Windows
> XP, Vista, Windows 7, but also and more specifically within IE7, IE8,
> Firefox, Chrome) react to SERVFAILs or timeouts?

	[...]

> This makes knowing all about client behaviour on receiving timeouts or
> SERVFAILs of the utmost importance.

	And how the application receiving said servfail notification react
	(retry - and if so, how many times, failure back to the user, etc...).

	With regards to timeouts, an application like Opera will do its own
	DNS resolution, and not wait for the default timeout.

> Also, I've never gotten a clear picture on what popular stubs think of the
> two or three IP addresses they are given as resolvers. Is the first one more
> important? It sure appears to be the case.

	It's up to whatever the developer felt like doing that day, unfortunately.
	Many of them haven't read a RFC :(

	Reminder: http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/