[dns-operations] Please contribute data to OARC!

Matt Larson mlarson at verisign.com
Tue Feb 2 13:41:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010, bert hubert wrote:
> I want to thank many anonymous operators who supplied graphs with
> spectacular, or no, peaks in them.  While I'm happy & grateful they shared,
> it is quite sad that 'shareholder accountability' now means that this all
> has to happen off the record!

I share Bert's dismay that this interesting data is off the record.
It's ironic that we're discussing reluctance to share data on an OARC
mailing list, because data sharing is exactly one of the reasons why
OARC was created in the first place!  It would be wonderful if the
operators who contacted Bert would feel secure in submitting data to
OARC.

Here are some important facts about submitting data to OARC that you
might not be aware of:

1. You don't have to be an OARC member to contribute data.

OARC has a lightweight data sharing agreement to make it easy for
non-members to share data.  It's one page long and understandable by
non-lawyers; please see
https://www.dns-oarc.net/files/agreements/OARC-proprietary-data.pdf.

2. Your data remains your property.

3. OARC doesn't disclose your raw data unless you say it's OK.

4. OARC is allowed to analyze your data, but OARC won't mention you by
name in any public analysis unless you say it's OK.

So please consider sharing your interesting DNS operational data with
OARC!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.  If,
despite the above, you still can't or don't want to share data with
OARC, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know why so we can make OARC
better and more useful.

With my OARC hat on,

Matt Larson
Chairman of the Board, OARC, Inc.