[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR records

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Dec 17 19:14:05 UTC 2010

Oh, Oh,

I am Peter Dambier and I am a digger.

I am using "dig -x" to find out who is hiding behind an ip-address.

I cherish the old times when "dig axfr" kept telling you everything
you ever wanted to know.

Today you have to run a resolver for somebody else and keep a
database with all queries and answers to see behind the scenes.

That is almost what I do:
Running nameservers for the Pirates Party and the Cesidian Root
and no, I do not run a database and I don't keep logs.
Even if I wanted to - my disks are not big enough.

Seen from time to time with "named -g" only the error messages
suggest 90% to 98% of all queries are nonsense in the first place.

I am running my own little nameserver at home because I do not
want to pollute the internet with my nonsense queries
and I do not trust other people's nameservers in the first place.

Cheers
Peter

Wayne MacLaurin wrote:
> That's an excellent question !
>
> I seem to recall a heated debate at the RIPE meeting in Rome back in
> November.     It would seem that most people wish PTR was never invented
> and it causes more grief than its worth.    A few folks seemed to be
> resigned to having to do PTR for MTAs and other services that have
> built-in requirements but most would like to see the entire concept go
> away….
>
> Anybody else, who's rolling out IPv6 on a large scale, have any comments ?
>
> Wayne MacLaurin
> Executive Director, DNS-OARC
> wayne at dns-oarc.net <mailto:wayne at dns-oarc.net>
>

> On 2010-12-17, at 10:02 AM, R.P. Aditya wrote:
>
>> I like to question my habits -- the current one: while getting ready to
>> roll out IPv6, whether to bother with PTR records at all, and if so,
>> whether to just automatically generate them (except maybe for MTAs) and
>> not bother to match the forwards (so far, I'm not convinced either way
>> and given the pace of the rollout, time can tell).
>>
>> R.P. (Adi) Aditya
>> Network Architect
>> ITSComm Network Engineering
>> University of Michigan