[dns-operations] compressing DNS traffic data

Ondřej Surý ondrej.sury at nic.cz
Wed Dec 8 12:53:29 UTC 2010

On 8.12.2010 13:19, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2010, at 6:51 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>> If the "compression" ratio is 1:5 or 1:10 compared to raw packets,
>> it will pay of now and in the future.
>
> Which is why there's IPFIX and PSAMP.  Just taking incoming PSAMP of
> UDP/53 and TCP/53 over IPFIX, then strip out what you don't want, and
> store the remainder.  Done.

We'll investigate that road as well.

> This whole idea of inventing Yet Another Protocol just doesn't make
> sense, IMHO.  It's what happens when folks get an idea, then don't
> check to see if perhaps there's already prior art which is applicable
> to the problem-set at hand.

Roland, that's exactly the reason why I wrote the first email.  We got a
plentiful ideas gathered here over a short period of time.  We also now
know that there is an interest to have a set of tools for DNS archiving
(and sending DNS streams - my idea is to use the resulting protocol for
DSC-ng instead of the XML).

O.
--
  Ondřej Surý