[dns-operations] compressing DNS traffic data

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Dec 8 10:49:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:36:17AM +0000,
 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote
 a message of 17 lines which said:

> The cost of everyone's time discussing what to delete or what/how to
> compress must be orders of magnitude more than a few hundred 1 TB
> disks.

If you talk about arithmetic, then do it properly: the cost of
storage, in a typical setup is NOT the price of the hard disks. It is
the cost of the engineers who manage it: for one local internal SATA
disk, this engineer cost is zero. For a room full of big RAID arrays,
it is non-negligible. Will you manage my storage bay for me, gratis?

> Why not just agree to store everything in wire format

Because it is awfully slow for queries (no point to store something if
you cannot query it).