[dns-operations] compressing DNS traffic data

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 8 10:36:17 UTC 2010

On 8 Dec 2010, at 09:16, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> "RR class" unlike what I wrote earlier, I believe you can safely save
> two bytes here :-)

I fail to understand this angels-on-pinhead debate when storage costs
less than a tenth of a cent per gigabyte in mainstream retail outlets.

The cost of everyone's time discussing what to delete or what/how to
compress must be orders of magnitude more than a few hundred 1 TB
disks. Assume we have 100-200 engineers here paid rather more than the
minimum wage, each or whom spends an hour or two reading or posting on
this thread about archiving DNS traffic. Then do the arithmetic.

Why not just agree to store everything in wire format (maybe with
added timestamps if sub-millisecond precision is available) and be
done with it?