[dns-operations] (wikileaks) Fwd: [funsec] And Google becomes a DNS..

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sun Dec 5 17:04:22 UTC 2010

On 12/5/10 6:25 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> Found on reddit:
>> http://i.imgur.com/Q5SVu.png
>
> And what is the sensational revelation? That you can access a Web site
> by its IP address? That URLs accept literal addresses? That Google can
> index these pages?

Disclaimers a-plenty:
DNS is required for the Internet to work. Google requires DNS to work.
Google is where many (most?) users go when they want to reach a site.

With Wikileaks' DNS side of things down, users can still reach Wikileaks.

This is extremely obvious, we've all discussed it before, and yet
strangely I find this particular case to be enlightening.

"Google is here, DNS is passe" is a WRONG statement, and yet I can't
help but keep saying it, even if I know it is wrong.

	Gadi.