[dns-operations] (wikileaks) Fwd: [funsec] And Google becomes a DNS..

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Dec 5 16:25:47 UTC 2010

> Found on reddit:
> http://i.imgur.com/Q5SVu.png

And what is the sensational revelation? That you can access a Web site
by its IP address? That URLs accept literal addresses? That Google can
index these pages?

I assume all the readers of the list were already aware of that, as
well as all the readers of the last Dan Brown "The Lost Symbol":

Strangely, the file's location was not displaying as a traditional Web
address but rather as a numeric Internet Protocol address. 'I can't
unmask the IP', Trish said. 'The domain name's not coming up. Hold
on.' She pulled up her terminal window. 'I'll run a traceroute.'

[...]

What the hell? Her trace has stopped before reaching the document's
server. Her ping [sic], for some reason, had hit a network device that
swallowed it, rather than bouncing it back. 'It looks like my
traceroute got blocked.' Is that even possible?

[...]

'How about a "who is" [sic] search?' Katherine prompted. 'Wouldn't
that tell you who owns the domain?'

[...]

'It's like this IP address doesn't exist. I can't get any information
about it at all.'

[... A few pages later, Trish called a "expert hacker" for help. ...]

'Trish, this IP has a funky format. It's written in a protocol that
isn't even publicly available yet. It's probably gov intel or
military.'