[dns-operations] "freeware is a recipe for problems"

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Sep 23 09:21:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39760362,00.htm?s_cid=260
> "So we've seen the majority of the world's top ISPs migrating away
> from freeware to a solution that is carrier-grade, commercial-grade
> and secure."
>
> Are there still people using freeware on this list? If so, I will
> unsubscribe at once, since I want to be on the side of the top
> organizations using carrier-grade, commercial-grade, secure and
> buzzword-compliant software.

I'm especially appalled about comparing "freeware" and "malware".
Nominum should be ashamed of themselves.

"So, whether it's Eircom in Ireland or a Brazilian ISP that was
attacked earlier this year, all of them were using some variant of
freeware. Freeware is not akin to malware, but is opening up those
customers to problems."

Bah.

Way, way back when, Nominum employees performed a denial of service
attack on PowerDNS. I thought they had grown over such behaviour.

Nominum might want to realise that while their aggressive marketing is
pitched at 'decision makers', they should not be offending the
technical people that actually have to run the software.

     Bert