[dns-operations] DNS maximum packet size

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Sat Sep 19 17:23:14 UTC 2009

Warren Kumari wrote, On 18/09/09 23:20:
> A fair bit of the issue is consumer broadband widgets -- there is an
> SSAC report here: http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac035.pdf
>
> Getting people to upgrade CPE is really really really hard -- folks
> buy these widgets from their local electronics store and they likely
> never upgrade the firmware (until they replace the whole thing when it
> dies).
The good news is that newer DSL devices in some parts of the world are
remotely upgradable by ISPs. Over here in Europe, many operators offer
triple play services on DSL or cable. They use their own CPE and keep
control on them. As much as I hate giving control of my CPE to my ISP, I
must admit it makes firmware upgrades easier for the average household.
You then only need to convince the ISPs, rather than millions of home
users.

Patrick Vande Walle