[dns-operations] GSLB options?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Oct 28 20:40:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Simon Lyall <simon at darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:
> * Balance multiple IPs within a "region"
> * Easy to change ratios between those IPs
> * Hand out CNAMES and A records.
> * Health checks
> * Geographic affinity
> * Ability to create own regions ( eg split New Zealand into two ).
> * Pretty interface
> * Runs on standard RHEL/Centos 5.

Many of these items can be done with the PowerDNS Geographical
Loadbalancing backend. Details can be found in the distribution, or in
http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/browser/trunk/pdns/modules/geobackend/README

This is the stuff that the Wikipedia uses.

http://www.kernel.org has a link. It appears to work really well.

> Has anyone any experience with the above or can recommend (for or against)
> other options?

I'm biased of course ;-) But both wikipedia.org and kernel.org appear
to have stellar uptimes.

   Bert