[dns-operations] dlv.isc.org "full production" [was: Re: Statement: Issues using BIND 9.4 & 9.5 with DLV and certain DNSSEC-signed zones]

Keith Mitchell keith_mitchell at isc.org
Sun Mar 22 20:46:12 UTC 2009

Paul Vixie wrote:
>> I would've thought 'production' vs. 'semi-production' would have
>> been related to SLAs associated with the infrastructure DLV
>> operates over,  not features on the web interface or backend APIs.
>> After all, you all  are suggesting people to bet their DNS lookup
>> infrastructure on ISC's  DLV infrastructure not breaking...
>
> it was only the UI that wasn't full production.  the back end has
> been.

To be clear, much of our distinction between "limited" and "full"
production relates to the hardware platform we are running DLV on
operationally. To date it has run on a single server located at ISC's
Redwood City facility. As part of the UI development, we identified that
we would need to run this on higher capacity platforms to cope with
likely increased uptake, and split the UI and back-end functions onto
separate servers to enhance security.

While we're happy about the robustness of the service from a code-base
point of view, we don't want to say the service is in "full" production
until we have brought up a more powerful web front-end server, and
located this at a data center with more diverse connectivity. We are
working on this at present, and the current plan is to have this up and
running by 31st March, at which point we'll announce DLV as being in
"full" production.

Keith