[dns-operations] dlv.isc.org "full production" [was: Re: Statement: Issues using BIND 9.4 & 9.5 with DLV and certain DNSSEC-signed zones]

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sun Mar 22 01:43:22 UTC 2009

> 	well...  i might refer folks to some historical posts from Paul
> 	Vixie...  granted, he's not claiming direct responsibility for DLV,
> 	but he is president of ISC...  so his musings might carry a little
> 	weight.

that would be me.

> 	for example:
>
> From: Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: wrt joao damas' DLV talk on wednesday
> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 06:50:05 +0000
>
> [lengthy diatribe elided]
>
> (my concern is, DLV is an evolutionary dead end, a deployment aid, and
> pissing away even more time and money on it seems like a waste of time
> compared to finishing NSEC3, signing the root, y'know, important stuff.)

i am ANGRY that it has taken 13+ years to finish the DNSSEC spec and that
the community can have no reasonable expectation that the root zone will
EVER be signed.

in that context, i stand by what i said.  DLV should NOT have been necessary.

however, DLV *is* necessary if we want to create enough of a DNSSEC market
to convince the powers-that-be to sign the root and all TLD's.