[dns-operations] Problems resolving .gov using DLV

Michael Graff michael_graff at isc.org
Wed Mar 18 14:42:17 UTC 2009

Inline replies if my phone allows it.

--Michael

On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:15, Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz> wrote:

> At 3:28 +0000 3/18/09, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> it should be, but isn't.  a separate "if alg is unknown treat as
>> unsigned"
>> test was needed in BIND for the DLV case, and it was not present.
>
> I want to ask this of Paul/ISC, so I can explain the "root cause" of
> the situation to interested parties.
>
> The problem with .GOV resolution involving the DLV entry is limited
> to a DS code path bug in certain versions of BIND.  (Question:
> "right?")  Is this bug present in all BIND versions from 9.3 to 9.5
> inclusive?

Not ds. Dlv records only. It is a bug where we did not handle the no
supported algorithm case in that code path.

The bug is in all versions but 9.6.1 will have the future-proof patch
applied. I don't believe 9.6.1b1 will but b2 or later will.

It is only a problem in pre 9.6 operationally because these are in the
wild.