[dns-operations] Any godaddy dns admins?

Ray Corbin rcorbin at traffiq.com
Wed Mar 4 16:08:38 UTC 2009

Hey,

I've been having the toughest time trying to get an issue resolved, and after many contacts to support I feel like I'm getting the runaround.

I recently updated my SPF record on the DNS servers at godaddy, fairly standard. After that we started getting alerts from different servers around the country, not all, that our webpage was down that 'unable to resolve hostname' was the error. I checked the dns at godaddy and it looked okay. It was unable to resolve the IP address. After a little bit it started working again... This was two days ago and the issue continues to happen. I increased the TTL to 1 day to help keep it cached longer on the dns servers. When I do NSLOOKUP's on the SOA servers they often fail:

Below is the nslookup's for the 1 SOA. Notice only itx.traffiq.com fails saying 'non existent domain'...it does exists..

> server 216.69.185.5
Default Server:  [216.69.185.5]
Address:  216.69.185.5

> traffiq.com
Server:  [216.69.185.5]
Address:  216.69.185.5

Name:    traffiq.com
Address:  64.106.190.142

> www.traffiq.com
Server:  [216.69.185.5]
Address:  216.69.185.5

Name:    traffiq.com
Address:  64.106.190.142
Aliases:  www.traffiq.com

> ads.traffiq.com
Server:  [216.69.185.5]
Address:  216.69.185.5

Name:    ads.traffiq.com
Address:  66.151.100.150

> itx.traffiq.com
Server:  [216.69.185.5]
Address:  216.69.185.5

*** [216.69.185.5] can't find itx.traffiq.com: Non-existent domain

Here is the 2nd SOA. Notice both traffiq.com and www.traffiq.com<http://www.traffiq.com/> fail. WWW likely fails because it's a CName pointing to @ which it can't resolve.

> server 208.109.255.5
Default Server:  [208.109.255.5]
Address:  208.109.255.5

> traffiq.com
Server:  [208.109.255.5]
Address:  208.109.255.5

*** [208.109.255.5] can't find traffiq.com: Non-existent domain
> www.traffiq.com
Server:  [208.109.255.5]
Address:  208.109.255.5

*** [208.109.255.5] can't find www.traffiq.com: Non-existent domain
> ads.traffiq.com
Server:  [208.109.255.5]
Address:  208.109.255.5

Name:    ads.traffiq.com
Address:  66.151.100.150

> itx.traffiq.com
Server:  [208.109.255.5]
Address:  208.109.255.5

Name:    itx.traffiq.com
Address:  66.151.100.151

I've been getting the run around from sales/support and no resolution and its been going on for a few days. This is causing some large problems when customers can't access our site because our SOA says the host doesn't exist.

Anyone in godaddy on this list able to help...or that can perhaps proxy this over to them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-r