[dns-operations] .Org DNSSEC key management policy feedback

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 22 23:39:34 UTC 2009

In message <1D337EA2-A581-47CE-98AA-E95754465293 at dnss.ec>, Roy Arends writes:
> On Jun 23, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 03:24:20PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
> >  wrote:

> >> 	even then, they might want to keep the .ORG key
> >
> > I'm rather hoping not.  Given the way BIND prefers the "closest"
> > configured trust anchor, I think it will make things less reliable.
> > Suppose people decide to keep their existing .org key, and then the
> > root is signed, and the key-keepers think, "Good," and stop checking
> > for updates.  On the next .org key-roll, all of .org instantly goes
> > dark for those people with the stale key.
>
> That still hasn't been fixed?  It seems wrong and very annoying. In my
> end user experience, it violates the principle of least astonishment.

	Actually it doesn't.  If you configure a trust-anchor for
	your own company you don't want anything overriding it.
	Having that overridden would be POLA violation.

	Having things break because you stopped managing/tracking
	them is not a POLA violation.

> I remember the main counter argument was that folks might want to
> configure the .ORG key for everything in and under .ORG, and not trust
> the root key for .ORG, but do trust the root key for everything else.
> Doesn't fly. There might be simple dependencies from domains under ORG
> on something not ORG. See for instance http://www.links.org/?p=635 on
> "who pwns the internet".

	For . and ORG I agree.  For ORG and ISC.ORG I disagree.
	For wattle.id.au (when it is signed) and andrews.wattlet.id.au
	I disagree.  There are couple of hundred zones where your
	policy makes sense.  There are millions where named's default
	policy will make sense.

	Your policy model make sense if you *start* doing DNSSEC
	during the bottom up development phase.  If you start in
	the top down phase it doesn't and top down is the long term
	status.

	Mark