[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Mon Jul 6 14:44:58 UTC 2009

At 3:15 +0000 7/6/09, Paul Vixie wrote:

>disallowing wildcards inside delegation-mostly zones is always a good idea.

I don't think disallowing is a good thing.  But if a registry employs
wildcards, they do need to be aware of the cost/benefit.

>folks who want to use the dns as a general purpose mapping layer in order
>to direct the activities of various libraries and applications, are missing
>the point.  let dns be about facts alone, and do the policy layer elsewhere.

For example, WhoIs.

The DNS is NOT the registry database.  WhoIs is more closely
representative of a registry database, which is what generally people
want to consult - for policy.   It just so happens that WhoIs is 1)
TCP and 2) not well specified.  We do have IRIS on the shelf (just
has we had DNSSEC on the shelf for 10 years).
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.