[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Mon Jul 6 03:15:09 UTC 2009

> From: David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:26:53 -0700
>
> If new gTLDs are going to occur and assuming ICANN does not have a
> mechanism to winnow the "lawyers, slime, sharks, and sheep" from the good
> guys, it would seem to me that based on that technical input, disallowing
> wildcards would be appropriate.

disallowing wildcards inside delegation-mostly zones is always a good idea.
folks who want to use the dns as a general purpose mapping layer in order
to direct the activities of various libraries and applications, are missing
the point.  let dns be about facts alone, and do the policy layer elsewhere.